Thread: Cage question - regulations

Standard

Default Cage question - regulations

I just saw a build here which brought up the following question:

Is this cage legal? It does not go to the bottom in 1 piece (A- and B-Pillar) but connects over the "body". In my understanding (and the FIA rulebook) it has to be 1 piece down to the floor.

Legal, yes or no? If yes, this would speed up my own build a lot
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    if money is an issue ... do it right the first time .... poor people can't afford to be cheap
    http://de.4x4-garage.com

Standard

good question!!!

maybe we have to wait for lasse´s answer...

My cage has the same essential setup for the A-pillars except they are split at the cowl behind the hood. (The white body part in your pic)

Will the lower "windshield" bar be part of the dash?
    ---Insanity is contagious---

Quote Originally Posted by SldgHmmr View Post
    I just saw a build here which brought up the following question:
    Accuality.
    We had this question on the Eurotrial-meeting also...
    So it's not new...

It does not go to the bottom in 1 piece (A- and B-Pillar) but connects over the "body". In my understanding (and the FIA rulebook) it has to be 1 piece down to the floor.
    The only place in FIA regulations which they talk about where the rollcage should be mounted to the floor is in part 8.3.2.6 Mounting of rollcages to the bodyshell/chassis in chapter "Special case"
    The mounting points of the front, lateral, semi-lateral and main rollbars must be situated at least at the level of the cockpit floor.
    In the same chapter they also say
    Rollcages equipping vehicles with a tubular or semi-tubular space frame (Groups T1 and T3) must be welded to the chassis or be an
    integral part of it.

But if we read the preamble to 8.3.2.6 it says only
    The safety rollcages must be fixed directly to the steel bodyshell or the main chassis, i.e. onto the structure to which the suspension
    loads are transmitted (with if necessary additional reinforcement at
    the joint between the chassis and the foot of the rollbar).

BUT!!!!
    None of that has any significance when we are not controlled by FIA​​, but we actually have our own rules.
    And since you are building a tube chassis, both consist of tubes in the floor level and tubes in the same level as the top of the thin metal shell (the so called body) that you dress your chassis with, you can mount them in the upper part of your chassis...

But you have to build a true monocoque-chassis with tubes all the way around even in the upper part of the chassis. If you are build a common framework with a cage, such as it looks on a Spider, both the A-bar loop and the B-bar must to go down to the floor.

And however, that applies only in the PM and P, since it is only in those classes, you are allowed to build your own chassis ...

So back to your question.
    Is this cage legal?
    In Eurotrial and in Sweden = Yes
    In Germany or according to FIA. I don't know and accuality, I don't care.
    I'm also going to build in that way...
    // Lasse
    Ordförande i Trialförarföreningen - Sverige. Teknisk chef - Eurotrial.

All 4 wheels must participate, lock up your axles.

Standard

Thank you, i wanted to build mine the same way.
    if money is an issue ... do it right the first time .... poor people can't afford to be cheap
    http://de.4x4-garage.com

Standard

And since you are building a tube chassis, both consist of tubes in the floor level and tubes in the same level as the top of the thin metal shell (the so called body) that you dress your chassis with, you can mount them in the upper part of your chassis...

But you have to build a true monocoque-chassis with tubes all the way around even in the upper part of the chassis. If you are build a common framework with a cage, such as it looks on a Spider, both the A-bar loop and the B-bar must to go down to the floor.
    in this case this cage isn´t built correctly....

there´s a "frame" of square tube. similar like the spider only shorter. where´s the monocoque chassis???

in my opinion it doesn´t matter if you use round or square tube... even on the new one seater spider is a "frame"...

Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse suzicán View Post
    None of that has any significance when we are not controlled by FIA​​, but we actually have our own rules

In Eurotrial and in Sweden = Yes
    In Germany or according to FIA. I don't know and accuality, I don't care.
    I'm also going to build in that way...

ligger dere helt utenfor FIA i Eurotrial og i Sverige ?

Standard

in my opinion it doesn´t matter if you use round or square tube... even on the new one seater spider is a "frame"...
    @ lasse

what do you think about it?

Standard

@ lasse

if you say it´s allowed, ok...

but there´s still my question how do you clarify the difference between "frame" an monocoque"???