Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Thanks! Formula Offroad Skien Was Extremely Awesome! Crawl Magazine News!

Modified

Thumbs up Special Thanks! Formula Offroad Skien Was Extremely Awesome! Crawl Magazine News!

AMIGOS,

BACK IN THE BIG CITY OF OSLO AND GETTING READY FOR THE SEPT 15 NORDIC CHAMPIONSHIP CAR TRAIL EVENT IN GJERSTAD!

THE ACTION THIS SUNDAY WAS SO EXTREME I WAS LEFT SPEECHLESS AT TIMES. I ARRIVED THANX TO MY NEW AMIGO, MORTEN PETTERSEN WHO PICKED ME UP AT THE TRAIN STATION. WE WERE GREETED BY TOMMY OLSEN, TORE HANSEN, AND MARIUS MYHRE. MARUIS QUICKLY GAVE MORTEN AND I THE BREAKDOWN OF THE SHOW. WE THEN POSTED UP THE CRAWL MAGAZINE BANNER AND HEADED TO THE STARTING AREA.

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER SEEN THIS TYPE OF EXTREME RACING LIVE AND CLOSE! I HAVE SEEN IT ON TV AND VIDEOS BUT SEEING IT LIVE ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS.

I ARRIVED THINKING THAT THE RIG WOULD ENTER THE GATES WITH SPEED BUT DISCOVERED TO MY AMAZEMENT THAT THEY STARTED AT THE BOTTOM, FLAT AND AT 0 KMS. REVING THEIR ENGINES AND READY TO GO VERTICAL TO FINALLY REACH A GOAL (EXIT GATE) ON TOP WHICH LOOKED TO BE NEVER ENDING (SOME 200 METERS). ONCE THEY HAD THE GREEN FLAG FROM THE TOP THEY WOULD GIVE THE RACER THE GREEN TO START. THE ROARING V8 HEART OF THE RIG COULD BE HEARD AND ECHOED THROUGHOUT THE RACE AREA. 1 2 3 AND THE ACTION WAS CRAWLING! THE RIG WOULD TAKE OFF LIKE A ROCKET AND BEGIN TO CRAWL UP, ONCE THE RIG HIT ABOUT 4000 RPMS AND THE N.O.S. KICKED IN! AFTER THAT THERE WAS NO TURNING BACK! I WATCHED AND ANALYZED FROM THE BOTTOM, SIDES, AND TOP AND WAS AMAZED TO SEE THESE VEHICLES FLY STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR WHEN THE N.O.S. WAS FLOWING. THE FANS STOOD QUIET LIKE SEEING A ROCKET FLY UP INTO THE SKY.

SOME DRIVERS HAD SOME BAD LUCK AND MECHANICAL PROBLEMS AND WOULD CAREFULLY ROLL BACK WHEN POSSBILE USUALLY ABOUT ONLY 80-100 METERS. OTHERS WHO WOULD GET STUCK TO DEEP IN THE SAND AND WERE TO HIGH UP ON THE COURSES, SO THEY WOULD GET TOWED OUT BY A VOLVO CRANE. THE VOLVO CRANE WAS THE WINCH HERE.

THE GRIP WAS FARELY GOOD AND FARE TO EVERYONE. EVERYONE SEEM TO BE RUNNING THE SAME PADDLE TIRE DESIGN. ONLY ONE RIG FROM THE TORSHOV RIG HAD THERE 2 FRONT TIRES ALIGNED DIFFERENT. ALL THE SUSPENSIONS ON THESE CRAWLERS WERE DIFFERENT AND WORKED VERY WELL. FULL HYDRO STEERING WAS VERY IMPORTANT AND NECESSARY TO CONTROL THESE RIGS AT THE HIGH SPEEDS. ALL THE RIGS HAD THEIR STYLE AND ENERGY. I LOVED THE TROLLS MOUNTED ON THE HOOD OF THE TROLLET TEAM RIG WHO TOOK A TUMBLE DURING THE EVENT. THERE WAS ALSO THE EAGLE WITH HIS CLASSIC HOMEMADE LOOK DRIVEN BY OLE GRAVERSEN, WHO TURNED 70 YEARS OLD THAT WEEKEND! 2 WOMEN WERE ALSO RACING HARD THAT SUNDAY AS WELL. THERE WAS EVEN A TRIAL RIG WITH A 2.0 VOLVO ENGINE WITH NO N.O.S. RACING, ALL HE DID WAS MOUNT SOME PADDLE TIRES!

DURING THE BREAK I HAD THE CHANCE TO TALK TO THE COURSE DESIGNER FROM ISLAND WHO TOLD ME BRIEFLY HOW THE SPORT DEVELOPED AND THE SKEIN GATES. I TOOK THE TIME TO STAND AT THE BOTTOM AND TOP OF ALL THE TRACKS AND THESE VERTICALS WERE SOME SERIOUS INCLINES, COMPARED TO THE VERTICALS GATES THAT I HAVE RACED AT UROC® SUPERCRAWL 2006 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA AND OUR PLANET GTOROCKS® OFFROAD PARK IN MEXICO.

THEN THERE WAS THE ALMOST VERTICAL GLIDING ACTION! I BELIEVE THIS WAS ONE OF THE HARDEST TASK ON BOTH DRIVER AND RIG. THIS GLIDING WAS NEEDED TO MOVE FROM SIDE TO SIDE TO ENTER THE NEXT SECTION OF THE TRACK THAT WAS MARKED BY A WHITE AND RED CONE. THE DRIVER HAD TO CONTROL THE THROTTLE AND MAKE SURE HIS RIG STAYED IN ONE PIECE WHILE MOVING FROM SIDE TO SIDE. ALWAYS MAKING SURE NOT TO GET THE FRONT WHEELS UP TO HIGH AND LOSE CONTROL AND RISK A ROLL!
    OR SHOULD I SAY MULTIPLE ROLLS.

THE TIME TRIALS WERE GREAT TO WATCH THE RIGS RACE THE CLOCK. REMINDED ME OF XRRA® ROCK RACING RIGHT AWAY.

IN CONCLUSION THIS OFFROAD RACING WAS SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE TO BELIEVE. SIMPLY AMAZING! OF COUSRE THIS RACING IS DIFFERENT TO ROCK CRAWLING AND ROCK RACING BUT IT COULD BE CONSIDERED A BROTHER SPORT TO BOTH SINCE YOU CRAWL AND DECEND VERTICALLY AND RACE AT HIGH SPEEDS, WITH PLENTY OF JUMPING AND CARNAGE.

SPECIAL THANX TO THE FOLLOWING:
    MORTEN PETERSON (MY GUIDE AND RIDE THERE)
    TOMMY OLSEN (WELCOME AND EVENT GUIDE)
    TORE HANSEN
    STEFAN PETTERSON
    JAK
    TROLLET RACING TEAM
    MARIUS MYHRE
    JOHN THOMAS
    SVEIN
    TERJE
    CONGRATS AGAIN AND THANX FOR THE GREAT SHOW!
    MAD MOOSE RACING
    SOLKUSTEN AWD
    FORMULA OFFROAD NORWAY
    FORUMLA OFFROAD ISLAND
    LuuUA
    OPT ACCN
    I-HELVA
    KNA TELEMARK
    NMK ARENDAL
    BERG GARAGE
    OPT ACCN
    AMCAR
    BOTKYRKA MK
    KOKK
    START

I WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED ON THE ARTICLE THAT TIM PIELE, EDITOR OF CRAWL MAG, WILL BE PUBLISHING ON THE NEXT CRAWL MAGAZINE ISSUE!!! I AM WORKING ON GETTING THE CRAWL MAGAZINES HERE TO ALL THE NORWAY 4x4 CLUBS.

ANYONE IN ICELAND, SWEDEN CLUBS INTERESTED IN MAGAZINE SUBCRIPTIONS?

THANX AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING! TUSEN TAKK TIL DERE ALLE! JEG HADDE DET VELDIG GØY OG KAN IKKE VENTE TIL NESTE GANG

thanks for the sticker you left on my zuk :) good to hear you were taken care of and had a good time
    Last edited by ShuDuck; 09-03-2007 at 23:32.
    wut?

Modified

Wink Decal

Bare hyggelig By the way nice zuki. Hope to get one next summer to modify and compete with you felas. :)

PONCE

Jeeps are bils, not båts! Amund's Avatar

Great article, can't wait for the magazine!

Only one error though, Ole Graversen is driving the eagle yes (red car with Warn and 4x4butikken stickers), and he did have a birthday today but I am pretty sure he is only half way to 70 (ok maybe 40 tops). The guy who turned 70 is Swedish, drives an orange rig and right now I forgot his name... somebody else will chime in I'm sure.

- Amund - video from the event coming soon! I just need a harddisk and RAM sponsor....
    Jeeps are bils, not båts!

Modified

Red face Info

Thanx amund,

email me at so we can be in touch. I am going to get together with tommy olsen and others on the 15th to get all the names correct.

The event was great!

Ponce
    Last edited by ROCK RACER; 05-20-2011 at 11:44.

Modified

Exclamation Formula Offroad Videos And Tv Coverage???

CAN ANYONE GET ME A COPY OF ANY VIDEO SHOT THIS PAST WEEKEND?

WHAT DAY AND TIME WILL IT BE AIRED ON EUROSPORT? OR OTHER TV CHANNELS?

STILL AMAZED AT HOW DIFFERENT IF IS BEING THERE LIVE! SEEING THIS VIDEO NOW IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!
    FORMULA OFFROAD SKIEN 2006 VIDEOS

PONCE

The 70 year old driver was Ulf Drakenheim!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Amund View Post
    Great article, can't wait for the magazine!

Only one error though, Ole Graversen is driving the eagle yes (red car with Warn and 4x4butikken stickers), and he did have a birthday today but I am pretty sure he is only half way to 70 (ok maybe 40 tops). The guy who turned 70 is Swedish, drives an orange rig and right now I forgot his name... somebody else will chime in I'm sure.

- Amund - video from the event coming soon! I just need a harddisk and RAM sponsor....
    Pål Blesvik

Modified

Thumbs up Team Foff

thanx Rockstar! Noted It Down On My Notes Correctly Now

#56 Ulf Drakenheim - Team Foff - Driving The Dragon Wagon - Reprsenting Sweden In The Unlimited Class.

Wicked weekend guys , and nice to meet you Ponce maybe see you next year driving Eurotrial :)

Thanks Tommy and Finn for letting us stay in your bus, :):):)

Modified

Smile

YEAH JEFF,

IT WAS A PLEASURE!

LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS FOR 2008!

ARE YOU GOING TO BE COMPETING AT NORDIC CHAMPIONSHIP ON THE 15 IN GJERSTAD?

WISH I HAD MY BONGO TOY HERE:o

CHEERS,
    PONCE

No not coming to Nordic this year - need to save pennys to update my car to portal and bigger wheels :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Carter View Post

Thanks Tommy and Finn for letting us stay in your bus, :):):)
    So you were there also. DAMN...... why I'm never anymore at the same places where the beer drinkers are

Greatest for me was that Thomas "Tumppi" Nyholm tooked the Champion tittle in Modified again to Finland. Lets see can I win it back at 2008;)

Or maybe I should challenge Miikka Kaskinen (did I mention that also he is from Finland:p) in Unlimited and try to win the champion tittle in that class

........äääääääh who knows whats going to happen next year. One thing is for shure. I'll be in Euro Trial Norway 2008:):)

Me a beer drinker - see you at Eurotrial

Modified

Smile Final Results

Modified:
    Thomas Nyholm (FI) 29p
    Christian Austad (N) 28p
    Michael Berg (DK) 20p
    Mika Valkonen (FI) 19p
    Sofia Schollin Borg (S) 13p
    Øystein Dehnes (N) 9p
    Roger Hovdal (N) 8p
    Bjarki Reynisson (IS) 7p
    Erik Selbekk (N) 6p
    Øyvind Bråthen (N) 6p
    Janne Bronndal (N) 5p
    Geir Haug (N) 3p
    Harri Kempppi (FI) 2p

Unlimited:
    Finn Erik Løberg (N) 32p TEAM#54 FROM NORWAY
    Miikka Kaskinen (FI) 22p TEAM#58 FROM FINLAND
    Ole Graversen (N) 19p TEAM#55 FROM NORWAY
    Gunnar Gunnarsson (IS) 16p
    Arne Johannessen (N) 13p
    Rolf Keiser (S) 11p
    Leo Vidar Bjørnsson (IS) 9p
    Roar Johansen (N) 9p
    Olafur B. Jonsson (IS) 8p
    Per A Norstedt (S) 6p
    Hans Mäki (S) 4p
    Sigurdur T. Jonsson (IS) 2p
    Eyjólfur Skúlason (IS) 2p
    Ulf Drakenheim (S) 1p
    Fredrik Sipuri (S) 1p
    Daniel G Ingimundarson (IS) 1p

SO YOU READY TO SEE SOME CRAWLING WITH N.O.S.?

PONCE "ROCK RACER" AND MORTEN PETTERSEN TAKING NOTES ON TOP

CRAWL MAG BANNER AT PODIUM AREA

Modified

Thumbs up Fomula Offroad Woman Racers

Lets start the action fotos with the women racers!

Sofia Schollin-Borg TEAM #2 Solkusten AWD from Sweden doing some gliding action. She was one of the 2 women racers. Very agressive driver. Everytime we passed by her irg she was inside wearing here helmet concentrating on her strategy for here next run. Congrats Sofia!

Janne Bronndal TEAM #9 NMK Arendal from Norway racing up the killer hill. This was her first time driving this rig and Formula Offroad. Her rig was throwing 450hps. She survived both days with no major damage. Congrats Janne!

PHOTOS BY STEFAN PETTERSEN FROM ACTION FOTO

Modified

Talking Catching Some Air!

These were the highest jumpers on Sunday!

Flying vertical up in the air at mid way thru the gate (about 100 meters) after the NOS kicked in. From here they still had another 80-100 meters up to the finish gate.
    Thomas Nyholm of TEAM# 7 I-HELVA from Finland catching the most air! THIS GUY PUT ON THE BEST SHOW ALL THE TIME! Congrats of First Place in Modified!

Last years champ and everyone's favorite, Gunnar Gunnarson TEAM #52 FORUMLA OFFROAD ICELAND catching some air and gaining control to finish the gate. This guy was nuts he was always on the skinny pedal even on the downhills.

Olafur B Jonsson of TEAM#60 FORMULA OFFROAD ICELAND flying the FOX!

FOTOS BY STEFAN PETTERSEN FROM ACTION FOTO

Modified

Thumbs up Birthday Boy

Celebrating his 70 year old Bday that weekend, Mr. Ulf Drekenheim raced his Dragon Wagon with finesse. TEAM #56 FOFF from Sweden. Local favorite for the fans. He used to rock crawl several years and told me that this was more exciting now. Congrats!

Modified

Smile Bull Riding Action!

Mika Valkonen - TEAM #5 LuuUa from Finland getting some air and taking a tumble. These rigs are going so fast that if the driver loses control when he lands and the NOS is still on, its like Bull Riding! CONGRATS!

FOTOS BY STEFAN PETTERSEN FROM ACTION FOTO

Modified

Thumbs up Vertical Back Flips!

Geir Haug TEAM#8 TROLLET from Norway doing a back flip. The rig had some trolls mounted on the hood that also went for a little ride. I personally liked this since we also mount a crazy monkey on the front of our rig. Sunday they lost front traction but continued racing the final 2 gates to get points. Congrats Again!

Modified

Thumbs up Denmark Warrior Takes 3rd Place!

Micael Borg - TEAM #11 BERGS GARAGE from Denmark doing the gliding action here towards a downhill gate. Only one competing from DENMARK, an excelent driver, also a local favorite. CONGRATS ON 3RD PLACE!

Modified

Thumbs up The Little Rig With Turbo!

This was the only rig without NOS and the smallest engine a 2.3 Turbo Volvo engine. He also competes in the Car Trial Comps. All he does is swap out his tires. Oystein Dehnes from Norway racing his little mighty rig the Firer'n. CONGRATS TEAM #10 FOR PLACING 6TH PLACE IN MOD CLASS!

Thanx Again for sporting our decal on your rig that day! See you on the 15th in Gjerstad

Modified

Thumbs up The Flying Eagle!

Mr. Ole Graversen from Norway raced the flashy Eagle, remsembled and sounded like a dragster. TEAM #55 AMCAR. Local favorite for all the fans.

Modified

Talking And All He Saw Was The Sky!

Eyjolfur Skulason TEAM #64 START from Iceland reacing the top of the 200 meter hill. Congrats!

Back home when we rock crawl verticals we say that all you see is the sky, when I stood at the bottom of these skien courses all I saw was sky too but very very far

Modified

Talking More racing!

Sigurdur Thor Jonsson TEAM #61 FORMULA OFFROAD ICELAND racing to the top. Congrats!

Modified

Wink Reloaded

Christian Austad of Formula Offroad Norway TEAM #3 flooring the gas pedal on Reloaded! Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast