PDA

View Full Version : Mobile, money, etc. for foreigners

Beef Eater
07-18-2008, 10:49
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions about various staff.

1. Money in Norway. Do Norwegian shops accept euro in cash? Or I have to change them to krones?

2. Mobile phone. It's a little bit expensive to pay 1-2 euro per minute on every ingoing/outgoing calls between team members. We are going to buy local operators prepaid SIM cards, but do not know which one to select. I know there are Telenor and NetCom companies. Do they sell SIM cards to foreigners?

Vitaly

Tom K
07-18-2008, 11:06
Hello, i think it`s best if you change from euro to Norske kroner, euro is not accepted in all shops over here yet , regarding the sim card , there are no problems for a forreigner to buy prepaid sim cards, I would go for Telenor because they have the best coverage
Good luck :beer:

Blesvik
07-18-2008, 11:11
Hi Vitaly!

I think you will need Norwegian Kroner.

You can buy prepaid simcards and use it in your phone if its not locked to your own mobile company.
If so, you must contact them and get a unlock code.
A "starterset" from Telenor cost 99 kroner and has 50kr callingtime included.
You can get that in most gas-stations etc in norway.

Beef Eater
07-18-2008, 13:20
Thank you!

We do not have locked phones here. Russia is a big pirate country :-)
Companies stopped locking phones after pirates made unlocking very cheap procedure.

Here are follow-up questions:

1. Where can we change euro to kroner excluding obvious ATM machines? Only in banks?

2. Am I right choosing Nett&Kontant tariff here (http://telenor.no/privat/mobil/priser/)? BTW: "startpris" - pay for connection?

Neowulf
07-18-2008, 17:30
where are you going to enter into Norway?

massey
07-18-2008, 18:46
Thank you!

2. Am I right choosing Nett&Kontant tariff here (http://telenor.no/privat/mobil/priser/)? BTW: "startpris" - pay for connection?

With Nett&Kontant, you can only "charge" by ATM, WEB, SMS or Wap. With kort&kontant you can buy "charge card" in almost every gas station and shops.

"startpris" - pay for connection? yes

Beef Eater
07-18-2008, 20:15
where are you going to enter into Norway?

We are coming from Finland by ferry to Stockholm and then by car heading into Brokelandshiea.

Neowulf
07-18-2008, 20:54
We are coming from Finland by ferry to Stockholm and then by car heading into Brokelandshiea.

Ok then , if you had gone trough kirkenes there are about 10% russian population so you could have got "help on the fly" and sorted any problems there , but it seems that you got it al figured out , have a good one, and give us a hint if there are long waiting lines going in to russia :D

Tom K
07-19-2008, 01:11
If you come from Stockholm you are driving E18 over the border rje, you can change money on the border, in rje you can visit a mobile phone shop and get a prepaid sim card, you have to register the sim card to a name, they need name and adress but this is free, you pay for the card you want and i think it`s 150 kr, 300kr and 500 kr, i guess a card holding 150 kr is more than enough for the ET weekend