PDA

View Full Version : Tires for winter driving in Norway ?

OZ3BTO
11-11-2008, 01:18
This winter we go to Hemsedal for 1 week or so in januray

What tires are the best for snow driving ?

Right now i have Bridgestone A/T on my terrano right now and a set of "Mudzilla" in spare

Last year we saw som roads "Staengt pga. ras" ... What is ras ?

Hope there is a lot of snow :D

lulle
11-11-2008, 02:39
Last year we saw som roads "Staengt pga. ras" ... What is ras ?

Avalance , Snow or rocks/dirt

Blom
11-11-2008, 07:38
Use the AT tyres !!

To make them a bit better, go to a tyre store and get them siped. This makes a very good improvement to the tyres on snow and ice.
You may have to call around to find a siping machine, but I guess most tyre stores that handle big trucks tires, would have one.
get the tyres fine-siped with about 5 mm between the siping cuts.

Can be a good idea to wash the tyres with some solvent before entering the mountains, but the road to Hemsedal is highly trafficed and would recieve a "lot" of attention from the maintenance people...

OZ3BTO
11-12-2008, 13:53
Use the AT tyres !!

To make them a bit better, go to a tyre store and get them siped. This makes a very good improvement to the tyres on snow and ice.
You may have to call around to find a siping machine, but I guess most tyre stores that handle big trucks tires, would have one.
get the tyres fine-siped with about 5 mm between the siping cuts.

Can be a good idea to wash the tyres with some solvent before entering the mountains, but the road to Hemsedal is highly trafficed and would recieve a "lot" of attention from the maintenance people...

Ill get new tires friday (Still Bridgestone A/T) and they have been siped allready.. Nice to have in Denmark.. If we get snow its nice to have

What abaout snowchains.. Do i need them ? Weight wil be at least 2,5tons total
Last year we had problems finding any that fits my terrano (275/70R15)

Last year we went to "Gautefall" and had clean roads all the way .. Dont think that we are that lucky in Hemsedal :shaking:

Blom
11-14-2008, 08:53
On the normal roads there will normally not be any need of snow chains, but if you are going into smaller roads, park outside the road on softer ground, it might be a good idea.

I dont think the majority of 4x4 drivers have snow chains...

Hemsedal is in a nice valley with good roads and I cannot see there will be any problem. Its not like driving over the mountains outside the road :-)
The road through Hemsedal is the preferred road for the big trucks going from east to west, with the easiest hills, so the road is kept quite free of snow and ice as far as I have seen.

Here is a company who can provide snow and ice chains for you...
www.flom.no
http://www.flom.no/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=36

Amund
11-14-2008, 09:38
Try Cooper Discoverer M+S, very good tires and I think I saw the 275 dim.

OZ3BTO
11-15-2008, 03:48
Try Cooper Discoverer M+S, very good tires and I think I saw the 275 dim.

Sorry i remembered wrong.. Its 235/70R15 not the 275

I think i found a place to get chains.. If its not a normal size they will make it just for you

Time to sleep .. iam in "Hedeager" right now and we gonna have fun in the mud the next 2 days.. Need a littel sleep before