PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic Health System Questions

Numidian
09-27-2009, 01:15
I'm a college student in the US. I came here, because my thread on the US PBB didn't give me any results.

I have to write a paper comparing the US and a foreign countries health system. I chose Iceland.

What kind of a system do you have in Iceland? Does the government run your hospitals, or are they privately run with the government just paying for everyone or is the entire system private? What costs do you have for medical care(directly or indirectly through taxes)?

Are you satisfied with your system? Do you feel you get quality care? Is there anything you would change if you could?

Thanks very much.

knixen
09-27-2009, 01:19
I'm a college student in the US. I came here, because my thread on the US PBB didn't give me any results.

I have to write a paper comparing the US and a foreign countries health system. I chose Iceland.

What kind of a system do you have in Iceland? Does the government run your hospitals, or are they privately run with the government just paying for everyone or is the entire system private? What costs do you have for medical care(directly or indirectly through taxes)?

Are you satisfied with your system? Do you feel you get quality care? Is there anything you would change if you could?

Thanks very much.

Not many Icelandic people here, there are only a few. Don`t know if they will respond to this, they don`t post much.

Numidian
09-27-2009, 05:48
That's cool... Hopefully one of them will see it. I figured it was worth a shot, since I was striking out on the US board.

Rocker
09-27-2009, 12:40
hmm....I believe Iceland and Norway have the same system....like 95%, so why not choose Norway?
Knixen is more than ready to explain the system for you :eyemouth:

Valdi
09-27-2009, 19:04
[QUOTE=Numidian;170144]I'm a college student in the US. I came here, because my thread on the US PBB didn't give me any results.

"What kind of a system do you have in Iceland? Does the government run your hospitals, or are they privately run with the government just paying for everyone or is the entire system private? What costs do you have for medical care(directly or indirectly through taxes)?"

The hospitals are state owned and run and mostly paid for by tax money. There are also a number of clinics that are privately run, with some service being paid for by the state and some paid by the user. You are charged every time you visit a doctor or a hospital but the amount is usually less than what the full amount for the service would have been in a private facility.
When you have paid above a certain amount for medical services during a year you get a greater discount for the rest of the year.

"Are you satisfied with your system? Do you feel you get quality care? Is there anything you would change if you could?"

I think the system works quite well, we pay more than the Scandinavians when we visit a hospital but our taxes are also lower than those in Scandinavia and Icelanders have among the highest life expectancies in the world, one of the lowest death rates and among the lowest infant mortality rates in the world.
I think we do get quality care but there are always, no matter what system is in place, things that can be better and things that could be changed.

Sigvaldi Eggertsson

Valdi
09-27-2009, 19:09
hmm....I believe Iceland and Norway have the same system....like 95%, so why not choose Norway?

There is great deal of difference between Norway and Iceland there, Norway has a Scandinavian welfare system but the system in Iceland is somewhere in-between with the users paying more towards the costs.

knixen
09-27-2009, 19:18

No problem:wink_animate: