PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry for the english question (steering related)

vanguard
09-29-2007, 23:54
I'm sorry for asking in English. I'm American and like most of us it's the only language I speak.

I was wondering how the steering is typically set up on formula off road rigs. Is it full hydro? How many turns lock to lock do you aim for?

Thanks in advance.

Arne
09-30-2007, 09:55
I'm sorry for asking in English. I'm American and like most of us it's the only language I speak.

I was wondering how the steering is typically set up on formula off road rigs. Is it full hydro? How many turns lock to lock do you aim for?

Thanks in advance.

No problem with the English language, we have all learned some of it in school.

Most of us use a full hydraulic system with no feed-back to the steering wheel. Typically lock to lock is approx 2,5 turns. Most use a 2" cylinder with a 1,25" rod.
I prefer 1,5 turns lock to lock, that way I never have to let go of the steering wheel. I also have a larger cylinder with 2,55" piston and 1,38" rod, but this takes a big pump to be able to turn at low rpm.

Thanks for watching us..............

vanguard
09-30-2007, 13:26
Thanks for the reply. I watch you guys on youtube and on the other pirate forum all the time. I've been amazed at how well guys are able to steer downhill and recover from what would otherwise be a roll down the hill. That's what made me ask about the turns lock to lock. I thought it would be something in the 1.5 to 2 range for all those quick recoveries.

Thanks again for the reply.

Arne
09-30-2007, 19:08
Thanks for the reply. I watch you guys on youtube and on the other pirate forum all the time. I've been amazed at how well guys are able to steer downhill and recover from what would otherwise be a roll down the hill. That's what made me ask about the turns lock to lock. I thought it would be something in the 1.5 to 2 range for all those quick recoveries.

Thanks again for the reply.

No problem, hope to bring our rigs to the US some day................